Thursday, August 29, 2013

Silly Bed


Cindy:

Yesterday marked Mom's 8 month anniversary since being told she only had 3-6 months to live. For the past month or so her balance and neuropathy have been pretty bad so we decided to forgo the comfort of a regular bed for the safety of a hospital one that has rails.  

When I first suggested it, I felt it was a good idea but as the day progressed I wondered if this would make her feel defeated and more inclined to give up hope.  Eventually I just asked her if she really wanted the bed because I didn't want her to feel pressured into it, to which she responded by laughing and said 

""Number 1, this wasn't your idea it was mine, so stop trying to take the credit".
"Number 2, I'm not giving up, but this bed will make it easier for me to get up without your help."
"And last but not least whether I sleep in a  regular bed or hospital bed it's not going to have anything to do with when it's my time to go, so stop worrying".

So with that said we had her hospital bed delivered and the whole time she joked around with the kid putting it together for her.  It couldn't have been more then 20 minutes I was out of the room to feed and change the baby and by the time I came back mom had fed him and found out his whole life story. It's funny how mom always has had that affect on people.

I want to tell you that made me feel better about my decision to order it but it didnt. It wasn't till the kids came home from school and what I thought would sadden them to see did the the exact opposite.

They were super excited about mom's bed having the ability to go up and down and Noah negotiated sleeping arrangements pretty quickly.  

She then made a schedule allowing each of them the chance to sleep in it one night. Ironically enough thats's all it took to feel a little less sad about something as silly as a bed.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment