Monday, March 3, 2014

Nothing Personal, F$&% Cancer~

March 3, 2014
Monday

Cindy:

Today is chemo #25 for mom and she has been in an exceptionally great mood considering.
From waiting to have her blood drawn till the minute we sat down with the doctor she was joking with everyone from the nurses drawing her blood to other patients in the waiting area. 
About 10 minutes into our wait to see the doctor to go over her ct results, a man in his 50's who had been sitting across from us quietly just listening and smiling approached us and asked mom if he could ask her something personal. He proceeded to ask her what kind of cancer she has and what stage. 
Mom said,"that's not personal at all" and talked to him about everything from Stage 4 Stomach cancer to chemo to smoking marijuana:-) which she doesn't do herself, but is a total advocate for.
Everybody sitting in the waiting area listened too her as she spoke and as I looked around the room I noticed other warriors agreeing with her, nervous family members seeing hope through her for their own loved ones and myself tearing up because it took me back to a time when mom was the one asking the questions and I realized just how far we've truly come. 
Next thing I know I hear mom say "They gave me 3 months to live and it's been over a year, So Fuck Cancer! Everyone started laughing hysterically and repeating Fuck Cancer!" 
Luckily our beeper went off just then and we went in to meet with her Onc who had this to say..

So although "No Significant Change" It's significant to us and that's the way we like it.
So just like mom said "F~ing cancer, take that!" :-) 



4 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with Stage IV Stomach Cancer on my birthday, Oct 23, 2011. P.E.T. scans lit up like a Christmas Tree; hot spots all over my body. I received the "incurable, but treatable" speech. That was 2 years, 4 months ago. I remember me asking the time question and she said "I've had patients live 2-3 years." Uh oh, am I on borrowed time? Each morning is a gift from God to me. Each hug from my grandchildren, each kiss from my husband...all gifts from God. I know your Mom knows how blessed she is to have you two. I don't know what I'd do without my children. God bless you on your journey and I would love to keep in touch. Patsy Parker. By the way, your mom in the picture with the baby? She looks so young and she is so pretty. We gotta fight this crap and win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patsy,
    I'm glad to hear your still fighting this thing. My mom is the one with the baby and I can't imagine not being here for her. Glad you have your children and grandchildren to keep you going.
    Love to keep in touch, our email is the6thopinion@gmail.com.
    Take care,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete