Sunday, July 21, 2013

Genetic Counseling......

Arriving at the hospital not really knowing what to expect next, my stomach was completely in knots worrying if this is the day that will change our lives forever.
First things first, my mother and I checked in for our appointment waiting for our black buzzer thing to vibrate to let us know it was our turn as we waited I looked around the room and noticed something.. There were several families sitting there quietly, if I had to guess I would say they're was a pair of sisters,  a mother & daughter, a mother with her adult children and a father & daughter.  Missing from my group was my sister because she was working and my brother because since my mother was diagnosed he's been in some sort of denial about the fact she's dying. One thing we probably all had in common was the sadness we all felt that seemed to take over the waiting area.  When we finally went in the nurse asked about are family medical history and proceeded to explain to us that she would be drawing my mother's blood and testing it for a mutation called CDH1, if she tested positive in 4-6 weeks we would then discuss how that would affect my siblings and I and what we would have to do next.  So now the hurry up and wait game begins.  
             
 To be continued.......


Update:
Results are in, drumroll please....
 My mother tested negative for the CDH1 gene. Yay! Thank god one less thing for us to have to worry about. On to the next challenge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment