Sunday, July 7, 2013

Laughter cures everything...almost.

Cindy:


So you always hear laughter's the best cure....  Well we had just found out my mom was dying of cancer and were about to celebrate New Years and to be quite honest I couldn't think of anything to smile about more less laugh about. I was 7 months pregnant and had been on an emotional roller coaster since the day I'd found out I was pregnant while sitting in my moms hospital room 7 months earlier waiting for them to misdiagnose her for the 5th or 6th time.  My sister and girlfriend drove in from a town away and with mom hooked up to an IV in my family room, we all toasted and cried not knowing if this would be our last New Year together as a family.  Everyone went to bed, my sister left and I sat in front of my computer thinking to myself what I could do to lift everyone's spirit.  Checked my email and noticed that Maz Jobrani a comedian who my mom loves mostly because he's hysterical and partly because he looks just like my brother, was coming to town. Right away, I knew I had to get tickets but looking at the date in February felt a little hesitant. You see I was due to have my baby that week and she was scheduled to have chemo that Monday. Experience had already taught us by now that it usually took her about a week to recover from the effects of chemo. But that didn't stop me I bought 10 tickets and hoped for the best.  I called the The Improv and asked for extra special seating which Stephanie, who was pretty darn awesome took care of everything herself giving all of us VIP treatment and making it a night to remember.  I also facebooked  Maz Jobrani: This is what I wrote;

Hi Maz,

Quite a while back I sent you an email trying to find when you would be in Chicago again because my mom watched a routine you did about Persians & Palestians and being Palestian herself could totally relate and has been a huge fan of yours ever since.  I was so excited to see your going to be in Schaumburg @ The Improv next week I bought 10 tickets for the Feb 8th show which is also 4 days before I'm due to deliver and was hoping if you had a chance would say hello to my mom who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer I'm sure it would just be such a great surprise for her and would really lift her spirits if you had a few minutes the night of the show and greatly appreciated by us her children.  Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Maz's reply;

Cynthia,

Thank you for the kind e-mail. I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. Of course I can say hi to her. I will be in the lobby after the show so please make sure to come by and say hi then. I would love to give your mom a hug and thank her personally for coming out.

All the best,

Maz

And he did......
I hadn't heard my mom laugh as hard as she did at his show that night in so long, I had forgotten how much I missed that sound.



No comments:

Post a Comment