Saturday, April 5, 2014

Are we there yet?

We decided to go to the Dells for a few days and get some R&R. Sadly mom wasn't able to really enjoy it because the flu that everyone else had gotten the week prior finally caught up with her and she got sick and ended up spending the whole weekend in bed.
Jess & I decided to take to take two cars there instead of renting an Rv this time around just to see how'd it go and how comfortable it would be.
The 3 hr ride there which I was dreading with 4 kids and mom not feeling well went much smoother then I actually expected and after flipping a coin Jess got to ride with nana while listening to Npr for three hours in peace and quite his idea of a "dream drive, kid free":-) lol
But I didn't mind the kids because as usual, they were awesome and spent the entire trip watching movies we picked up from the redbox with their headphones on & reading while mom and I got to talk the whole time in between her short cat naps.
Coming back was another story...
After a fun filled weekend and spending quality time together with zero distractions and feeling completely worry free because my beautiful sister was house sitting. 
It was finally time to come back, the kids were in rare form and just starting to wind down but not quite. We must have stopped at every bathroom from Wisconsin to Chicago... 
It almost felt like National Lampoons vacation as everyone from the kids to mom to nana switched cars every time we stopped. What should have taken 3hrs to drive ended up taking about 6.
After stopping for food twice, coffee once, stopping to get 30 yr old cheddar cheese (which sounded kind of gross to my 5 year old)  from some old farm house in the middle of nowhere. Because according to mom it's a no-no to leave Wisconsin without old cheese;-) and enough bathroom breaks, handsanitizer and bark bags for 8.
 I thought to myself how could this day possibly get funnier until we stopped to get some food and I ordered 3 plain hamburger happy meals and the girl proceeded to ask me "And what would you like on those plain hamburgers and would you like a toy with them?"
 
To which I replied "#1 nothing their plain, (insert "Chandler's "Are you crazy face here?" ) And  #2 why would anyone order a happy meal if not for the toy???" 
This is a lesson to stay in school kids... 
 I was definitely ready to be home!
Being the masocist I am, I've already scheduled our June's weeklong trip to the Dells so mom can get a do over and actually get to enjoy it, but this time I know an RV is definitely a MUST when traveling with this many people if for no other reason but to keep my own sanity
;-).





Update 4/12/2014
Saturday

Today Mom's feeling great, looking great and gaining weight:-) Always especially thankful for days..

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog.
    I hope you have lots and lots of good days, not too many bad ones.
    All the best to you, your family and your mother - who seems like an amazing woman.
    Cheree, Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheree,

      We started this blog so others would know there not alone, it's always nice to hear back from someone who's read our story and know we've touched someone's life if only for a moment, So Thank You for sharing in our journey;-)

      Cindy

      Delete